Tribal Lands Cleanup Portal & GIS USEPA Region 9, Southwest
Weston created a comprehensive web-based portal and GIS mapping system for tribal lands uranium mine cleanup featuring data aggregation from multiple state, tribal, and federal agencies as well as nongovernmental organization (NGO)-sourced data into one central repository.
EPA Region 9 is the lead agency for the cleanup of over 500 uranium mines located on tribal lands in New Mexico and Arizona. Our team analyzed user interviews and mandate to use existing EPA tools and architecture to create a comprehensive web-based portal and GIS mapping system for tribal lands uranium mine cleanup featuring data aggregation from multiple state, tribal, and federal agencies and NGO-sourced data into one central repository. The cleanup effort involves multiple local, state, and federal project stakeholders. To support this project, Weston provided full lifecycle application development, including user interviews, use cases, requirements, and application development. Each project phase was completed on time, on budget according to the original cost project submitted to EPA Region 9, and meets the requirements provided by the project stakeholders.
The digital system combines the following elements into an easy-to-use intuitive interface for project stakeholders:
- Full-Text and Google-Like Searching – advanced indexing of entire archive, including geo-spatial and proximity searches.
- Geo-Tracking/Mapping GIS – view, analyze, and track base layers, documents, environmental data, analytical data, and structure data.
- Project and Site/Mine Recordkeeping/Archiving – comprehensive library of historical and current documents, reports, photos with advanced search functions, including full-text optical character reader (OCR) search capabilities.
- Document Tagging and Metadata – allows users to tag personal and global keywords to documents and records to help with searching and querying.
- Sample/Monitoring Data – data management reporting and query tools.
- Site-Specific Content – Tribal Lands Cleanup portal features the ability to organize site content by specific operating unit or mine, in addition to supporting querying and reporting functions by entire archive.