City of Vallejo Trusts WESTON to Aid in Early Transfer of Mare Island
former Mare Island Naval Shipyard, in Vallejo, California, was
closed by the Navy in 1996. A number of Economic Development Conveyance
(EDC) parcels remained the property of the Navy, and are now the
subject of another early transfer to ensure future owners receive
title on property for their redevelopment goals.
Eye on Integration
- Ensure alignment among the ultimate landowners,
the Navy, the state and federal regulators, and the public.
- Completing the early transfer of these
EDC parcels will allow redevelopment into commercial, educational,
and recreational spaces.
- Selected by City of Vallejo to serve as
point of integration for the numerous stakeholders.
- Led negotiations with
environmental regulators on nature and scope of remediation,
and with the Navy on timing of the transfer and funding.
- Investigation into several thousand metallic
anomalies identified in the former munitions fabrication and
- Redevelopment involves protection of endangered
salt marsh harvest mouse, migratory waterfowl, and resident shorebirds.
- Assumed interim title to the various impaired
parcels for remediation, performed cleanup, and transformed
the parcels to the new landowner for redevelopment.
- Remediation of properties to the
standards required for their reuse—including human health and
ecological risk-based standards—and
achieve regulatory closure.
Dodd-Frank Act Statement